Monday, January 7, 2013

Cute Pants


"Mom- I need new church pants." my son tells me yesterday.
WHAT?! I honestly just bought those pants, most likely in October but dang it, they should last longer than a couple months!  I saw the other day that my youngest daughters pants look like high waters now.
Who says my kids can grow up?!
On top of that, I don't ever remember having to buy my kids new pants in the middle of the winter.  They usually make it right to the end of the school year.


Having bigger sized kids in the house makes clothes shopping a challenge.  For my son, I have to buy husky with the adjustable waist and cinch those babies up, since the regular are a hair too tight around the waist.
My son out grew his 12 H jeans that I know I just bought for school this year in August so I thought to myself, this is easy, I just need to get 14 H in the same style and brand and we'll be good to go.
He puts them on and comes out of the bathroom.  Short of the pants falling off of him while he's walking he's telling me they are way too big.
I ask him, did you tighten them?  Yep so much that the grouping up of the fabric would hurt your skin.
So frustrating!  
Anyway, I can still find pants for my son, but for my almost 6 year old daughter it is a whole different ball game.

The most creative pants solution for her is what my post is about today.
If I'm lucky I can find cute girly capri pants in her larger size and they end up being cute jeans. 
 Otherwise
I buy my baby girls pants at goodwill, or other used clothing stores, garages sales, etc.  They have Gap, Childrens Place, Old Navy and other brand names that look awesome and have held up well, and look like they have lots more miles left in them, and I can be as picky as I want.  Ultimately I'm just going to take the scissors to them, so if the hem is rough from dragging on the ground, don't worry about it.  The pants I have on here are 12's for the 5 year old.

I take them home and cut off the extra 8 inches or so of pant legs and re-hem them.
Re-hemmed pants (sorry, she's a little dirty-it's kinda hard to get her to stop for a minute for a picture)

These brown sweat pants are my favorite.  I love the hot pink seams on 
the brown so I stuck with that and hemmed with a zigzag stitch.


 The shirt my little sweetie has on in these pictures is also a 12.  Shirts are another whole issue.  Lets just say 3/4" sleeves are wonderful!

Happy sewing!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment